Fox Kansas KSAS-TV - Search Results
City continues winter storm cleanup
WICHITA, Kansas City of Wichita crews are continuing the around the clock response to Tuesdays snow storm, public works officials said during a Wednesday morning news briefing.
A total of 50 trucks are being employed to plow snow and disperse treatment material.
Crews are using a straight sand treatment due to the low temperatures, which make salt less effective, Joe Pajor, the Deputy Director of Public Works & Utilities, said.
All primary routes will be plowed and sanded by this afternoon, at which time crews will begin street treatments on secondary routes.
City officials are reminding residents that property owners are responsible for clearing sidewalks and are prohibited from pushing snow into the streets.
Residents and businesses should refrain from moving snow from private driveways, parking lots, and sidewalks into the public streets.
Many roads remain snow-packed and driving conditions vary. Motorists are encouraged to drive with caution and follow the below tips:
- Plan extra time to reach your destination;
- Keep your vehicle in proper working order;
- Slow down in slick conditions, allow for extra stopping distance;
- Clear windows and windshield of ice, snow and other obstructions;
- And stay away from safety equipment on the roads.